Recipe: Summer Rolls with NutShed Harissa Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce
Makes 8 summer rolls
Vietnamese summer rolls filled with glazed tempeh and raw veggies served with a smoky and sweet harissa peanut butter dipping sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 small carrot
1 red bell pepper
8 sheets rice paper
Handful edible flowers (pansies/ violas/ borage/ nasturtiums) and/or fresh herbs (mint, coriander) 100g thin rice noodles, cooked
4 tbsp NutShed Harissa Chilli Peanut Butter
2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 1⁄2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp hot water
- Slice the tempeh into long strips (at least 8 pieces).
- Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan, once nice and hot add in the tempeh and cook on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the tamari and maple syrup and cook on a medium heat for another minute or two to evenly glaze the tempeh.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Peel the carrot and cucumber.
- Slice the carrot, red pepper and cucumber into thin long strips.
- Boil some water and add it to a large bowl, allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Add a rice paper to the bowl and soak it for 5 minutes. Place the rice paper on a clean cutting board.
- Add some flowers or herbs (whichever ingredient you want to remain visible in the summer rolls). Followed by a little cooked rice noodles, a strip of glazed tempeh and a couple strips of each of the raw veggies.
- Fold in the 2 outer edges of the rice paper and fold over one half, tucking it under the ingredients. Roll up and set aside.
- Repeat this with the remaining rice paper rolls.
- Add the harissa peanut butter, tamari, maple syrup and lime juice to a bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Add the hot water and whisk again, this helps to emulsify the ingredients to create a nice smooth dipping sauce.
- Serve immediately.