Recipe: NutShed Peanut Butter Millionaire Shortbread
Makes 12-16 caramel slices
Peanut Butter Millionaires Shortbread
1 1⁄2 cups (188g) all purpose flour (sub with gluten-free all purpose flour) 1 tbsp (15g) milled flaxseed
4 tbsp (60g) coconut sugar or light brown sugar
1⁄2 tsp sea salt
1⁄4 cup (65g) NutShed Original Peanut Butter
1⁄2 cup (113g) vegan butter
2 tbsp (10ml) water
1 cup (260g) NutShed Original Peanut Butter
3⁄4 cup (178ml) pure maple syrup
1⁄4 cup (55g) coconut oil, solid
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
1 tsp (5g) sea salt
8.5oz (240g) chocolate
3 tbsp (45g) NutShed Original Peanut Butter
- Preheat your oven to 175°C (350°F). Lightly grease the base and sides of a square 8″ pan with
some oil or vegan butter, then line with parchment paper.
- In your food processor, combine the flour, almond flour, milled flaxseed, coconut sugar, sea
salt, peanut butter, vegan butter and water until the ingredients stick together to form a dough.
Evenly press the dough into the base of the pan and smooth it out with a spatula or flat
bottomed glass. With a fork, gently prick the dough several times.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until slightly browned, then allow to cool to room temperature.
- To prepare the caramel, add all of the ingredients to a heat resistant bowl. Heat over a double
boiler (bain-marie) while stirring until all of the ingredients have melted into a smooth caramel.
- Pour the caramel on top of the shortbread layer and place in the freezer to set for a minimum
of 4 hours (overnight works well).
- Melt the chocolate and peanut butter over a double boiler (bain-marie) and stir to combine.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer and place in the fridge to set for 15-20 minutes.
- To slice, place a sharp knife in a jug of boiling water to heat it. Wipe the knife dry and gently
cut, allowing the heat from the knife to melt through the slices.
- Store these slices in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 3-5 days.
Alternatively you can freeze any unused portions and defrost as needed.